Capital Planning and Investment Control
To make effective capital planning and investment control decisions, executives must provide, at an early stage in their portfolio’s life cycle, a long-term vision combined with effective planning and execution. Executives need to formulate a balanced enterprise portfolio that takes into account risks, returns, and business goals. This capital planning effort relies on a solid repeatable process and the gathering of accurate and complete data.
For many government agencies, gathering accurate data is an arduous and less than successful process. Agency data is often contained within several systems, stove-piped and poorly integrated. As a result of the many commercial tools available in the marketplace that agencies implement to track their project and portfolio data, a separate executive management paradigm exists. Some software tools are not totally configurable to meet the agencies’ needs and some may not integrate appropriately, thus an agency finds that it must purchase additional tools.
The Response to the Challenge: CPIC Solution
Leveraging UMT best practices and products the CPIC Solution provides a one-stop solution for government portfolio, project and lifecycle management. The CPIC Solution provides government agencies with the correct tools to:
- Build a balanced and optimized portfolio with confidence
- Focus resources on projects that further the organizational goals
- Ensure investment effectiveness and business value through close oversight
- Identify and eliminate duplicate and low strategic value projects
- Provide an early warning system for projects that are over budget or behind schedule
- Guarantee that an organization is doing the right projects, right!
Benefits of the Solution
- Automated creation of business cases and the OMB Exhibit 300
- Centralized investment inventory
- Improved business transparency
- Single source of the truth for project data and status
- Process and technology integration
- Maximize investment in Microsoft stack
- Improved data integrity and fewer data calls
- Single click-to-create OMB Exhibit 53 report
- Increased ability to tele-work
- Improved collaboration through configurable notifications and alerts
- Abstracted data collection and automated synthesis
- Decreased on-boarding time of new CPIC employees due to integrated centralized CPIC lifecycle